Friday, May 9, 2008

flashback friday...remembering grandma joanne


my grandma passed away just a week after celebrating her 77th birthday. she was a wonderful person, and as i found out at the family service, she was an encourager, not just to her family but to so many people. her mark was left on an untold number of people. i will dearly miss her calling me "jennikins", i'll miss her laugh, i'll miss her carmel rolls, brown bread, kringles, & lefse. i'll miss visiting her when we go to north dakota. i'll miss her letters & cards, she was quite a letter writer. she was a woman of unshakable faith who in her cards & letters included a bible verse specifically for you. although we mourn our loss, we cherish the memories we have of her & are comforted with the fact that she is with our heavenly father.
this photo was from her trip to las vegas with my mom in april '06. she enjoyed the conservatory in the bellagio...she loved flowers!


this is from the same trip...isaac snapped this photo of 4 generations.


this photo was from the last time i saw my grandma. we met up in san diego in august '07. she was there to visit her cousin & we were there to see nate in "mamma mia". it worked out for us to meet for lunch, & i am so thankful for that!

i love you grandma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Taralee said...

What a special post! Even though I don't know her I really appreciate everything you said. It was very touching. Thanks.

Jerolyn said...

Jen,
This is a very touching tribute to your grandma whom I know you loved so much and will miss dearly. This loss is a great one, my hope for you and your family is that the great memories you have of your grandma will console your hearts. Thanks for sharing those photos.

DeeAnn said...

Beautiful memories Jen and great photos. She is dearly missed. I'm so glad I was able to meet her and spend time with her. I'll never forget how cute she was, and how hard we laughed when she took the family photos of us at the lake and couldn't find the view finder in the camera. Remember that?! We laughed till we cried. We are so lucky to have so many wonderful memories. We love and miss you Grandma.

Mama Bear said...

Beautiful post, Jen. It's good to have such great memories. I'm glad you shared some of them with us. I met your Grandma only once, she made me laugh.

Nathan Alan Johnson said...

Great post, Jen. The photos bring back so many memories.

It's hard for me to see Lauryn with G'ma and see how similar she looked to Lilia right now and to know that we'll never have the opportunity to take the same pictures with G'ma. I wish we could have been there for the funeral. I hurts my heart to think about it and know that we missed, yet another, family affair that we'll never got to share with everyone else. Regardless, thanks of the beautiful posting and great photos. We'll always remember her and the great things she said and did and stood for.

I love you G'ma.

Rissa said...

I'm so proud of you for being able to gather a joyous collection of photos when you're hurting and missing her. Your Grandma leaves a beautiful and sweet legacy in her children, grandchildren, and the great-grands who were lucky enough to know and love her.

LeNae Grandma said...

Thanks for sharing Jen! You do her proud; she thought the world of you and you have shown in return just how much you loved her too. We have lots of great memories of her, but we'll miss her dearly!