Thursday, February 7, 2008

i must be sleep deprived...

isaac has been sick since the afternoon of his birthday (sat.) ~ poor guy! he's missed school this week along with sunday school which makes him sad. last night, in the middle of the night, his coughing woke us up. i got up to get him some medicine & some water & found that in addition to him feeling terrible, his pj's & bedding needed to be changed. as dennis & i are changing him at 2:00 AM, he's half asleep & says, "do you mind if i take a bath?" i found that funny! he had just a quick sponge bath before hopping into our bed. i started the washer & stripped his bedding to throw in with his pajamas. you know how loud the washer can be...because of this i neglected to hear dennis walking behind me to get something & when i turned around, i screamed & my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest. this is the second time in a 24 hour period i had this feeling. the first time early the previous morning was much worse, by far!!! i had gone to sleep with isaac the night before when he woke up again from a coughing fit. i got up at 5:30 AM & went into lauryn's room to check on her on my way back to my bed. i didn't see her...thought it strange i didn't hear her if she had woken up & dennis had come to get her. i walked into our room & couldn't make her out on our bed.
j ~ "please tell me you have lauryn in here"
d ~ pops up & says "no"
j ~ "omg" & runs back to lauryn's room
at this point i'm terrified! it's amazing how much can run through your mind & the emotions you feel in a matter of seconds. i get to her room where i finally spot her underneath a small blankie in a sea of blankets on her big bed. whew ~ crisis averted!

3 comments:

DeeAnn said...

I know the exact feeling! I wake up nearly every night searching for our baby girl in our bed. Only to find I have already safely put her back in her bassinet after her latest feeding....still that feeling of her being lost, hurt, or otherwise is overwhelmingly terrifying.

Allen Fieldhouse said...

i agree! i'm so used to having the kids in the car with me that if i go somewhere on my own, i now & then get that feeling of panic when i look back & they aren't there. it's awful!!

Jerolyn said...

Jen I felt like that every weekend for 2 years when I was tending Isaac. Panic like for an instant I thought I forgot him or something. Not a good feeling.